One of the most common requests that I receive in my private practice is to provide a list of healthy snack ideas. Today I thought I would share that list with you. It can be easy to become stuck in a pattern of eating the same snacks everyday. When deciding on a snack, try to have both a complex carbohydrate food (whole grain, fruit or vegetable) and a protein. We often forget to add a protein to our snack. Protein is an important part of a healthy snack that helps us feel full until we are next able to eat. For example:
- 1 medium fresh fruit (e.g. banana, pear, apple or orange) or ½ cup fresh/frozen/canned fruit with slice of cheese or handful of nuts.
- 1 or 2 large stalks of celery with ½ cup low fat cottage cheese or a tbsp nut butter.
- ½ cup yogurt with 2 tbsp of your favourite of granola/seeds such as chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds and a handful of berries.
- ½ cup yogurt with 2 tbsp of your favourite of high fibre buds such as bran buds.
- 2 cups air-popped of low fat microwave popcorn with handful nuts or seasoned dried chick peas.
- 1 cup of raw vegetables (mini carrots, cut up cucumbers, zucchinis, cherry tomatoes) with 2 tbsp hummus
- 1 slice of whole grain/whole wheat bread or flat bread (e.g. Pita, Naan, or Roti) with 1 tbsp of hummus or nut butter.
- ½ cup of cooked oatmeal with 2 tbsp of your favourite of seeds such as chia, hemp, pumpkin seeds and a handful of berries
- 6-8 whole grain crackers or 2-3 tbsp of cottage cheese or light canned tuna.
- 1 cup fruit smoothie made with yogurt, soy or milk and a blend of your favourite fruits.
- Small homemade high fibre muffin with cheese or nut butter
- 1 cup of plain milk with medium fruit
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce with small homemade high fibre muffin
- A bag of homemade trail mix (¼ cup of moderate-high fibre cereal (multigrain cheerios, bran buds), 2 Tbsp of dried fruit and 2 tbsp of nuts)
- Boiled egg with ½ cup raw vegetables
- ½ cup Cottage cheese with 1-2 tbsp chia/hemp seeds and cinnamon
- Protein, fibre energy balls. See my recipe for nut-free cranberry, date energy bites https://tanyabrownrd.wordpress.com/2020/04/09/nut-free-cranberry-date-energy-bites-makes-25-bites/
Please let me know your favourite healthy snack in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: The above information is intended for general public education and is not intended to be dietetic advice in any respect or to any person. Use of this information does not make any person a direct client of Tanya Brown,RD for any purpose and no such relationship will exist unless a formal client relationship has been entered into. Please consult your Doctor or a Registered Dietitian for individual recommendations prior to making any dietary or lifestyle changes.